St Edward’s Prep is an independent prep school that aims to provide a safe, happy environment in which children develop a love of learning and gain the confidence, character and the capability to fulfil their potential. A school in which pupils develop a passion for and awareness of, the world, that empowers them to take action and make it a better place for all.
In order to deliver this overall aim, we will:
Provide a safe and happy environment for all our pupils, staff, parents and visitors
- We will ensure that all members of our school community are committed to safeguarding the children in our care and we will constantly monitor, evaluate and seek opportunities to improve the security and safety of our site.
- We will encourage a strong sense of unity in our diverse community and provide a safe environment in which our pupils feel happy and comfortable.
- We will create a supportive, family environment where pupils have the opportunity to learn, play and build friendships across year groups, and in which parents are welcome and actively involved in school life.
- We will provide a strong pastoral system, led by our Form Tutors, in which our children take pride in caring for each other and the school community as a whole.
Develop caring, courteous, courageous, confident and collaborative pupils, responsible for their own behaviour and who seek to help others and make a positive contribution to the world.
- We will maintain a clear and fair system for managing our pupils’ conduct, reward positive attitudes and character in line with our pupil profile and ensure that rules and consequences are well understood and consistently applied
- We will take every opportunity to cultivate our 5 key characteristics through our curriculum, pastoral care and wider community
- We will promote a culture where children contribute to the school and community and develop decision making and leadership skills which are used to aid the school’s development
Engender a love of learning in every pupil through an inspiring, engaging and relevant curriculum
- We will develop and deliver a curriculum which is exciting, challenging and relevant, that promotes learning across all subjects and engenders a responsibility for the world in which we live
- We will recruit and retain teachers with a real passion for their subjects, provide them with support and training to continuously enhance their practice, and ensure they have the resources and equipment necessary to engage their classes and develop independent learners
- We use an inquiry approach to learning and an inspiring curriculum framework across the school that encourages pupils to develop a cultural and global understanding of the world
Provide every pupil with the opportunity, the confidence and the support to achieve amazing things.
- We will provide opportunities for all our pupils to excel, through the curriculum, sports, creative arts and a broad range of extra-curricular activities and support them to achieve their goals
- We will build our pupils’ confidence in the classroom, on the sports pitch, on stage and in the playground, encouraging them to use their initiative, build skills, knowledge and understanding and to recognise the value of learning from mistakes
Prepare children for life after St Edward’s Prep
- We will maintain close links with senior independent, state and grammar schools and help parents to identify and secure entry to the most appropriate senior school for their child, tailoring our support to the specific requirements of each child
- We will develop children’s ability to work both independently and collaboratively, showing self-discipline, communication and leadership skills to prepare them for life in the wider world
- We will ensure our Year 6 leavers are confident, resilient, well prepared and excited about taking the next step into senior school